Monday, August 27, 2012

Lulu Grasshopper


    

     "Every day in every way, I get better and better." As a teen, this was something my grandmother, Lulu, asked me to say to myself in the mirror every day. She loved me, and wanted me to learn to love myself. I did say it, and I began to reflect on my daily attitudes. I still say it, it allows me to forgive myself for my human errors of the day in hopes that I can learn from them, and will be a better person tomorrow. It is a good practice of forward thinking.

     Last month, Lulu told me she was dying. She told me that after she died, she would sit on the tip of the crescent moon and sprinkle stars down on my family and I. She was not the kind of person who believed that, but it was still a nice sentiment. I know I will find comfort in the waxing and waning moon for the rest of my life.

     She died last Friday. I have spent the last few days looking back, longing for my childhood days with Lulu. Alternating between laughing at joyous memories and bawling over moments forever gone. Last night, we had an outdoor dinner to honor Lulu's life. She had requested everyone eat a hamburger for her. While sitting with my husband and children, toasting her, a grasshopper jumped on my knee. I brushed it away, and it sat on the ground next to me long enough for me to ponder it's presence. I got to thinking. Maybe it's a sign from Lulu!  I tried to brush the thought away. I am not the type of person to look for hidden meanings. But, what if? So, I looked up grasshopper symbolism online. Here is what I found:

     "As a cultural symbol, this insect is a prominent feature in Asian traditions. For instance, the Japanese connect its molting phases with the wax and wane of the moon. Further still, the Japanese cherished the song of this creature (particularly the long-horned grasshopper), and believed the moon coaxed the music from them." (Quoted from http://www.whats-your-sign.com/grasshopper-totem-and-symbolism.html)

     "Grasshopper Symbolism — The grasshopper is associated with astral travel. They have the ability to leap through time and into space where the true mysteries of life exist.....When the grasshopper appears to us we are being asked to take a leap of faith and jump forward into a specific area of life without fear......
Grasshoppers can only jump forward….not backward, or sideways. So, when grasshopper shows up he could be reaffirming to you that you are taking the right steps to move forward in your current situation. Or it could be that he is telling you to go ahead and move forward, getting past what is hindering you. This is why grasshopper is the symbol of good luck all over the world. Grasshopper’s ability to connect and understand sound vibrations is why he is also a symbol of your inner voice. he could be telling you to trust yours." (Quoted from http://concentricclothing.com/blog-post/the-grasshopper-spiritual-meaning)

     I am going to accept this grasshopper visit as a sign from the universe that Lulu will be sprinkling stars down on my family and me. A sign that I should find joy in each day I can spend cherishing her memory and sharing her traditions with my children. I will accept this sign that I should look ahead, that every day will be better than the last. A sign from Lulu that she has given me all the guidance I need, and now it is my turn to lead. I can't help but laugh though, when I think Lulu would probably say that it is a sign I need to mow the lawn.

6 comments:

justjennifer said...

Fantastic!

justjennifer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

That was absolutely beautiful, Casey. I'm quite sure that you are right.

slgrogan said...

Mom was most worried about telling you than anyone else. She was able to go peacefully knowing that you and your family are healthy and happy.

Unknown said...

:) What a special way to start a Blog spot, dedicating it to your Grandma Lulu. I'm happy to join!

Unknown said...

I just cried as I read this....love you!